We advise patients to attend a pre-operative appointment prior to surgery. This appointment will provide you the opportunity to discuss your surgery in more detail. Any questions you may have will be answered. All instructions regarding your surgery will be given at this appointment. The appointment will involve;
- Design planning
- Assessment of your donor hair
- A Medical assessment
Please bring a list of any medicines you are taking to this appointment.
Prior to surgery patients should do the following:
- Patients undergoing an FUT procedure should keep 2-3 cm length in their hair prior to the surgery. This is to hide the stitches in the initial post-operative period.
- Patients undergoing an FUT procedure should commence flexibility exercises in advance of their procedure. Please see the Scalp Massage page.
- Patients undergoing an FUE procedure will have their entire head shaved to a blade 0 on the day of the procedure
- Stop using Regaine 1 day before surgery
- You can continue taking your FDA approved hair loss medicine as normal (if prescribed).
Please stop taking any vitamins and supplements 1 week before surgery
- Start using Tea-Tree shampoo 1 week before your surgery. This is available in all pharmacies. Any brand of tea tree shampoo is suitable
- Allopurinol 300mg and Valium 5mg should be taken between 6pm and 7pm the evening before your surgery. This is normally provided to you at your pre-operative appointment. You may need to collect this pre-medication during office hours if you have not already received it. You should be in for the evening either at home or at your hotel before it is taken.
- Do not drink alcohol for 48 hours before your surgery
- Eat a sizeable breakfast before you arrive
- Please read your consent form before you attend for surgery
- Please contact the nursing staff with any queries you have
- A mild sedative is given during surgery. It is important you do not drive afterwards